- What, in one sentence
- What, the trilogy
- For whom?
- Who did it?
- Do you provide a live test of this project ?
- Can I help?
What, in one sentence¶
NiftyName project is more than a nifty name, it's "one of the first Open Source solution to do HaaS" (Hardware as a Service).
What, the trilogy¶
NiftyName is the mix of 3 strongly linked projects, developped by ielo. From a usability point of view (as in the above schema) :
- Zinn-Clients (stands for Zinn-Clients is a Nifty Name for Clients) aka the applications to access Zinn services.
- Zinn (stands for Zinn is a Nifty Name) aka the multiple client/users and multiple Sinn(s) manager.
- Sinn (stands for Sinn is a Nifty Name) aka the core geographical site/datacenter manager.
Why?¶NiftyName exists because ielo searched a long time for a datacenter management solution.
Amazon EC2/S3 solutions (and others) didn't fit for many reasons :
- Closed/proprietary solution.
- No way to create your own EC2/S3 in your datacenter(s).
- Confidentiality risks.
So, NiftyName is born.NiftyName is a strong and open basis to "do your own Cloud Computing"
Why? Because Cloud Computing is, in this order:
- HaaS: NiftyName fits well here ;-)
- SaaS: your applications fits well here ;-)
In few words, "NiftyName is production grade virtual hardware management solution"For people who want:
- Complete control over hardware on one/many datacenter(s),
- Flexible/elastic hardware resources thanks to virtualisation paradigm,
- Geographicaly redundant architectures,
- Powerful disaster recovery,
- Energy efficience.
Who did it?¶
This project was launched by the IELO company.
The main goal was to propose a total abstraction of physical machines and full flexibility/reliability and cost effective solution to customers who consume large quantities of computers/clusters.
Do you provide a live test of this project ?¶
You can create some services and report bugs and feelings using mailing-lists or this website (Issues report)
Can I help?¶
Yes! some mailing-lists are available: